Many people believe that food is medicine. In lieu of, or in addition to, prescriptions and over-the-counter remedies, certain foods can help fight the inflammation in your body that's causing you problems. Everything from acne and allergies to autoimmune issues and joint pain has been linked to chronic inflammation. Keep these powerhouse foods in mind to help fight inflammation.
- Salmon — As an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is a staple for fighting inflammation. Aim to add salmon to your menu once a week to reap the benefits. Just be sure it is wild caught, as farm-raised salmon has higher levels of toxins and antibiotics.
- Ginger — This spicy root not only calms nausea, it can crush inflammation. It has been liked to a decrease in joint pain for those suffering from arthritis. You can easily add it to your hot tea or soup for your daily dose.
- Sweet potatoes — Nutrient-packed sweet potatoes are high in vitamins C and E and the carotenoids, which make them anti-inflammatory. Replace your regular potato with a sweet potato for an added health boost throughout the week.
- Cherries — The tart cherry delivers a powerful dose of anti-inflammatory compounds. It abounds in anthocyanins, a type of phytonutrient. Snack on this tasty fruit or sip a cold glass of tart cherry juice for the inflammation-fighting ingredients.
- Walnuts — All nuts have anti-inflammatory benefits, but walnuts earn the spotlight in this category. With the highest concentration of plant-based omega-3s, more than 10 antioxidant phytonutrients, and polyphenols, walnuts are a true superfood. Grab some for on-the-go snacking, put them in your salad, or add them to your baking recipes for an added boost.
There are many other foods that can help fight inflammation. Most foods that grow from the ground will certainly help, but some are better than others. If you are suffering from chronic pain, consider incorporating some anti-inflammatory foods in your diet. In addition to applying Milkweed Balm to the site of pain, a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods will have you feeling better in no time.